Contingent Director, Product Design
At First Republic, we care about our people. Founded in 1985, we offer extraordinary client service in private banking, private business banking and private wealth management. We believe that personal connections are everything and our success is driven by the relationships we form with our colleagues and clients. You’ll always feel empowered and valued here.
Incredible teams doing exceptional work, every day
The Digital Channels team is responsible for client focused digital experiences that support our Consumer Private Banking, Corporate, and Private Wealth Management businesses. We are seeking a dynamic, organized leader to play a key role in supporting these efforts amidst the rapidly changing digital servicing and sales landscape.
Duties and Responsibilities
Director of Product Design
First Republic Bank is looking for someone to join our design team and help lead the transformation of our digital products in the private banking space. We operate as a fast-moving team that prides ourselves on innovation, execution, and ownership. This role reports directly to our new VP, Head of Design and will be responsible for setting a high standard in visual design and user centered design, and creating highly engaging features across mobile and desktop products.
The Director of Product design is highly collaborative and has experience working closely with product teams and engineering teams. They excel in hiring, and take pride in mentoring, junior designers. This role is for someone who is an ambassador to great design, and can pass that passion on to others, even outside of the design team. This person is customer-/user-obsessed. They are able to think beyond basic banking apps and imagine what true digital-to-human hand-off looks like. This is unique to our brand and to the type of high standard our customers expect from us.
This role is custom tailored to the person who enjoys the financial space in digital, loves custom crafting tools for users, likes to own and ship ideas rather than watch them collect dust on a shelf, and values working shoulder to shoulder with thoughtful and collaborative colleagues.
What you’ll do as a Director of Product Design:
- Lead and direct a high standard of visual design
- Lead and direct thoughtful UX
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams
- Communicate design principles clearly to both executives and junior designers alike
- Understand and run user-research when/where necessary in the design cycle
- Hire talent
- Mentor and grow the skills of junior designers
- Present your team’s work across the org
- Manage design projects from initiation to production
- Push product thinking to always be customer/user-centric
- Organize, evolve and contribute to our design library
- Be a culture builder for collaboration and creativity
- Lead regular design reviews
- Lead daily standups
- Help document and standardize design decisions
- Grow personally in your craft and in the shared knowledge of the people around you
What you will bring to the table:
- Passion for visual design, typography, interactive design, animation, illustration
- Multiple examples of quality work that has gone to production
- A demonstrated ability to grow and mentor teams of designers
- Thoughtful, simple, clean solutions for otherwise complicated problems
- A profound awareness of the value of good spacing in design
- Ability to navigate difficult situations in your work with successful outcomes
- Proven ability to manage up and down
- Ownership of problems. Ownership comes with responsibility and space to solve a problem. It also comes with recognition and satisfaction when the problem is solved and delivered.
- Competence in systems thinking across multiple platforms
- Adaptability. If data, research or a different perspective offers a contradicting position to one you have, you’re comfortable with changing your opinion.
- Prior success building strong relationships across teams. At the core of our digital products is the value of the human experience. Good people and strong relationships will build better products to serve our clients.
- An inquisitive mind
- This role requires a portfolio to be considered.
- Must be able to review and analyze data reports and manuals; must be computer proficient.
- Must be able to communicate effectively via telephone and in person.
- Must be able to travel as position requires.
- May be required to lift 25-50 lbs.
Own your work and your career - apply now
Are you willing to take initiative and make decisions? Are you willing to go the extra mile because you love what you do and how you can contribute as a team? Do you want the freedom to grow and the opportunity to take charge of your own career? If so, then come join us.
We want hard working team players. You’ll have the independence to learn, lead and drive change. A culture of extraordinary service, empowerment and stability—that’s the First Republic way. Come join us!
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. The Company is an equal opportunity employer. In this regard, the Company makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in order to enable them to perform all essential job functions, unless doing so creates an undue hardship.
First Republic is subject to federal laws that restrict the employment of individuals with certain types of criminal histories, including FDIA Section 19 and FINRA. To the extent not inconsistent with our obligations under those federal laws and regulations, First Republic will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles and San Francisco ban-the-box laws.