Credit Analyst Underwriter
At First Republic, we care about our people. Founded in 1985, we offer extraordinary client service in private banking, private business banking and private wealth management. We believe that personal connections are everything and our success is driven by the relationships we form with our colleagues and clients. You’ll always feel empowered and valued here.
Incredible teams doing exceptional work, every day
In Relationship Management Team Support, we document, process and underwrite both residential and commercial loans. We provide exceptional client service to internal and external partners. We support our Relationship Managers in all aspects of the loan process to ensure that we are delivering a seamless lending experience to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working with the Relationship Managers on the Construction Lending Group, Credit Analysts are responsible for analyzing and underwriting credit requests for commercial and construction loans on single family residential, multi-family residential, commercial, mixed-use, and other types of real properties. This position interacts with Relationship Managers, clients, internal and outside legal counsel, environmental consultants, title companies, FRB appraisal department staff, and Executive Loan Committee.
What you’ll do as a Credit Analyst / Underwriter:
- Coordinate the collection of client financial information, and prepare “needs-lists” for any missing items. Organize the information received from clients so that it can be easily identified by subsequent users.
- Communicate with clients to set their expectations reasonably, and then deliver to those expectations to ensure client satisfaction.
- Work with Relationship Managers to properly size and structure loans.
- Prepare prequalification worksheets to be used to obtain support from members of Executive Loan Committee (“ELC”).
- Prepare commitment letters.
- Prepare written loan narratives that provide in-depth analysis of property performance and guarantor financial support.
- Present loans to ELC for final approval.
- Coordinate flow of information between Bank and borrower’s counsel during the documentation process.
Renewals, extensions, and modifications of existing loans:
- Work with team members and clients to ensure that loans are extended or repaid prior to maturity.
- Collect updated financial information needed to complete extension or modification.
- Prepare credit memoranda for submission to ELC.
- Coordinate for receipt of any required appraisal, title, legal or environmental services.
- Gather market data on favored property types within FRB’s market area.
- Provide assistance as required by Relationship Managers to enhance client relationships.
- Interact directly with clients to ensure that their expectations are met, or exceeded.
Responsibilities include the following: 1) adhering to and complying with all applicable, federal and state laws, regulations and guidance, including those related to Anti-Money Laundering (i.e. Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act, etc.), 2) adhering to Bank policies and procedures, 3) completing required training, 4) identifying and reporting potential suspicious activity to the BSA/AML Officer, and 5) knowing and verifying the identity of any customer(s) that enters into a relationship with the Bank.
What skills you will use:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of FRB underwriting guidelines.
- Excellent computer skills,
- Furthers the First Republic Bank culture and values.
You could be a great fit if you have:
- Required: Bachelors Degree
- Minimum of 4 years of Credit underwriting experience.
- Proven customer service skills.
- Must have an understanding of basic real estate lending activities, including appraisal reports, environmental issues, legal issues, and credit analysis.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word / MS Outlook / MS PowerPoint/ MS Excel.
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple priorities and flourish in a fast-paced environment.
- Must consistently and unfailingly provide extraordinary service.
- Vision must be sufficient to read data reports, manuals and computer screens.
- Hearing must be sufficient to understand a conversation at a normal volume, including telephone calls and in person.
- Speech must be coherent to clearly convey or exchange information, including the giving and receiving of assignments and/or directions.
- Position involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- Must be able to review and analyze data reports and manuals; must be computer proficient.
- Must be able to communicate effectively via telephone and in person.
Own your work and your career — apply now
Are you willing to go the extra mile because you love what you do and how you can contribute as a team? Do you want the freedom to grow and the opportunity to take charge of your own career? If so, then come join us.
We want hard working team players. You’ll have the independence to learn, lead and drive change. A culture of extraordinary service, empowerment and stability — that’s the First Republic way.
First Republic is subject to federal laws that restrict the employment of individuals with certain types of criminal histories, including FDIA Section 19 and FINRA. To the extent not inconsistent with our obligations under those federal laws and regulations, First Republic will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles and San Francisco ban-the-box laws.