Enterprise Risk Management Intern
At First Republic, we care about our people. Founded in 1985, we offer extraordinary client service in private banking, private business banking and private wealth management. We believe that personal connections are everything and our success is driven by the relationships we form with our colleagues and clients. You’ll always feel empowered and valued here.
Incredible teams doing exceptional work, every day
As an intern, you will gain hands-on experience at a high-growth company that values its people. You’ll earn a competitive starting wage while absorbing a culture that emphasizes collaboration, entrepreneurial thinking and quick decision-making. Start doing the best work of your life here.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Summer Intern, you bring your passion for learning, critical thinking, and data analysis to the Bank’s ERM team, which partners with our colleagues to navigate an ever-changing environment by providing risk insights and expertise. Your inquisitive nature, attention to detail, and ability to develop strong relationships enables you to become a trusted resource. You will be exposed to a wide spectrum of risk disciplines, building on the knowledge and analytical skills you have acquired through your advanced studies. You will develop an understanding for the different types of risks in the banking sector and the approaches for managing these risks. Your intellectual curiosity and adaptability will help you seamlessly move between various risk-related projects.
What you’ll do as an Enterprise Risk Management Intern:
This role offers the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to the Bank’s ERM program while developing valuable understanding of the risk management discipline in the financial sector. Your responsibilities include:
- Assisting in various assignments to gain exposure to different risk types and functions within the Bank. Projects to be determined based on need at the outset of the internship. Examples of project types include:
- Gathering, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from large data sets related to specific risk types;
- Researching industry best practices and/or conducting peer analysis;
- Researching relevant regulatory requirements and expectations related to risk management; and/or
- Delivering project results and recommendations in memoranda or presentations tailored to a senior and executive management-level audience
- Attending select risk-related meetings and forums to gain exposure to the risk management process
- Developing relationships with risk contacts in other departments to facilitate partnerships and information-sharing
You could be a great fit if you have:
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills plus the ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- The ability manage multiple complex tasks concurrently. Discretion with confidential information is also necessary.
- Two years of undergraduate experience majoring in business, mathematics, economics, finance, or other related field
- Financial Services experience, or can clearly articulate the transferability of out of industry skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel (e.g., Vlookups, pivot tables, VBA, macros etc.)
- Ability to work with databases and write queries using SQL
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience with programming in prototyping and statistical languages such as Python and R are a plus
- Experience using Tableau or other data visualization tools is a plus
- Beginner to intermediate skills in Microsoft Visio is a plus
- Must be able to review and analyze data reports and manuals; must be computer proficient.
- Must be able to communicate effectively via telephone and in person.
Own your work and your career — apply now
Are you willing to go the extra mile because you love what you do and how you can contribute as a team? Do you want the freedom to grow and the opportunity to take charge of your own career? If so, then come join us. We want hard working team players. You’ll have the independence to learn, lead and drive change. A culture of extraordinary service, empowerment and stability — that’s the First Republic way.