Municipal Credit Analyst
At First Republic, we care about our people. Founded in 1985, we offer extraordinary client service in private banking, private business banking and private wealth management. We believe that personal connections are everything and our success is driven by the relationships we form with our colleagues and clients. You’ll always feel empowered and valued here.
Incredible teams doing exceptional work, every day
First Republic Private Wealth Management is comprised of investment management, brokerage, trust, financial planning and insurance professionals. We offer customized wealth management solutions for our clients from a wide array of services including comprehensive investment management, financial planning, estate planning, trust services, endowment management and more. Our goal is to understand our clients’ unique needs and support them throughout a lifetime of financial goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
We are looking to hire an Investment Grade Municipal Fixed Income Credit analyst to join the Fixed Income Credit Group within First Republic Investment Management. The role requires performing fundamental research on municipal bond issuers, along with related credit monitoring functions for the Fixed Income Group. Research is both qualitative and quantitative in nature. Work product includes written pieces, statistical analysis, modeling, as well as periodic reporting. The analyst will work with trading and portfolio managers to understand the core risks and relative value opportunities associated with municipal debt issuers.
What you’ll do as Municipal Credit Analyst:
- Analyze investment grade municipal credits in multiple sectors for trading and portfolio managers and as part of ongoing surveillance
- Interpret market and policy developments and their impact on holdings and sectors; analyst should be able to identify macro issues and assess the effects on individual holdings
- Promptly respond to trader and portfolio manager requests with quick but thorough analysis
- Conduct portfolio credit reviews; coordinate with portfolio managers and fixed income traders on credit-related sell recommendations
- Identify relative value opportunities and contribute to trade idea generation
- Build and maintain detailed company financial models; the analyst will work with our technology and compliance colleagues to comply with best practices
- Prepare monthly "Credit Committee" materials and participate in presentation to larger Fixed Income group; this involves adding value
- Produce white papers and other timely research for both internal and external distribution to broad list of portfolio managers and bankers
You could be a great fit if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a focus on finance, accounting, or economics. (MBA or CFA preferred)
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience as a credit analyst at a ratings agency or buy side or relevant investment professional experience.
- A demonstrated ability to work as part of a team with a high level of integrity
- Desire to provide extraordinary service and further First Republic Bank culture and values
- Bloomberg and Perform/Credit Scope experience
- Some basic knowledge of ESG analysis
- Knowledge of VBA, SQL is advantageous
The successful candidate will have:
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Knowledge in economics, finance, and capital markets. Basic knowledge of fixed income securities
- A positive attitude and an entrepreneurial spirit; a willingness to take on a variety of projects and see them through to completion
- A strong attention to detail, sound judgment, and ability to reason
- Intellectual curiosity to enhance credit skills across multiple taxable sectors and securities
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities under pressure
- Ability to quickly process and analyze large amounts of information
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and in a team environment, and positively contribute toward a culture of collaboration
- Ability to interact and build relationships with people of varied backgrounds, personalities and levels of seniority
- Must be able to review and analyze data reports and manuals; must be computer proficient.
- Must be able to communicate effectively via telephone and in person.
Own your work and your career - apply now
Are you willing to take initiative and make decisions? Are you willing to go the extra mile because you love what you do and how you can contribute as a team? Do you want the freedom to grow and the opportunity to take charge of your own career? If so, then come join us.
We want hard working team players. You’ll have the independence to learn, lead and drive change. A culture of extraordinary service, empowerment and stability—that’s the First Republic way.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. The Company is an equal opportunity employer. In this regard, the Company makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in order to enable them to perform all essential job functions, unless doing so creates an undue hardship.
First Republic is subject to federal laws that restrict the employment of individuals with certain types of criminal histories, including FDIA Section 19 and FINRA. To the extent not inconsistent with our obligations under those federal laws and regulations, First Republic will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles and San Francisco ban-the-box laws.