Senior Associate, Alternative Investments, Accounting & Administration
At First Republic, we care about our people. Founded in 1985, we offer extraordinary client service in private banking, private business banking and private wealth management. We believe that personal connections are everything and our success is driven by the relationships we form with our colleagues and clients. You’ll always feel empowered and valued here.
Incredible teams doing exceptional work, every day
First Republic Private Wealth Management is comprised of investment management, brokerage, trust, financial planning and insurance professionals within First Republic Investment Management (FRIM), First Republic Securities Company (FRSC), First Republic Trust Company (FRTC), and Foreign Exchange. We offer customized wealth management solutions for our clients from a wide array of services including comprehensive investment management, financial planning, estate planning, trust services, endowment management and more. Our goal is to understand our clients’ unique needs and support them throughout a lifetime of financial goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
We are looking for a highly motivated professional to join our Los Angeles-based Alternative Investment team as a Senior Associate, Alternative Investments, Tax & Accounting with a strong working knowledge of GAAP accounting. The role will focus on activities surrounding the core operations of our alternative investment business and fund processing.
What you’ll do as a Senior Associate, Alternative Investments Operations, Financial Accounting:
- Assist with reviewing fund NAV packages as required each month/quarter to ensure client reporting is efficiently & accurately completed
- Assist with the preparation and review of private fund financial statements
- Provide support with fund capital activity processes (capital calls, distributions, subscriptions, redemptions, etc.) and miscellaneous administrative tasks
- Work closely with third-party fund administrators and tax firms to oversee and monitor their operations. Coordinate with Federal & SALT tax teams of third party vendors to timely determine & remit applicable tax payments on behalf of Altair funds & investors
- Assist in the Treasury and Invoicing functions of the Funds
- Work with Alternative Investment operations & research teams to address ad-hoc client questions related to the funds' tax & accounting functions. Liaise between client servicing teams, fund administrators, and tax firms, with any questions or issues that may arise
- Draft correspondence to tax authorities to resolve state & federal tax notices. Organize responses & coordinate with external tax firms to process state & local tax notices
- Assist team Tax Specialist with communications to underlying fund managers to assess SALT payment & filing implications for Altair funds as needed
- Assist with the review of private fund tax reporting documents, including Schedule K-1s, PFIC statements, accompanying footnote disclosures, federal & state tax returns, federal tax estimates, and withholding forms for Altair funds and investors.
- Coordinate with Altair team on various projects, including: Tax Estimates (consolidated & individual reporting), Composite Elections, Schedule K-1 reporting, calculating & remitting tax payments, Tax Return filings, reconciling fund tax filings with corresponding investor accounts, etc.
- Responsibilities include the following: 1) adhering to and complying with all applicable, federal and state laws, regulations and guidance, including those related to Anti-Money Laundering (i.e. Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act, etc.), 2) adhering to Bank policies and procedures, 3) completing required training, 4) identifying and reporting potential suspicious activity to the BSA/AML Officer, and 5) knowing and verifying the identity of any customer(s) that enters into a relationship with the Bank
You could be a great fit if you have:
- 2-3 years of experience in accounting. CPA preferred but not required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Detail-oriented with the ability to work independently
- Be able to communicate effectively with team members
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Be capable of prioritizing multiple projects
- Ability to think critically and anticipate issues
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to work in a demanding, unstructured environment
- BA or BS degree in Accounting, Finance, Mathematics, or other business major from an accredited institution
- Self-starter, takes initiative
- Team player
- Provides extraordinary service.
- Furthers the First Republic Bank culture and values
- Must be able to review and analyze data reports and manuals; must be computer proficient.
- Must be able to communicate effectively via telephone and in person.
Own your work and your career — apply now
Are you willing to go the extra mile because you love what you do and how you can contribute as a team? Do you want the freedom to grow and the opportunity to take charge of your own career? If so, then come join us.
We want hard working team players. You’ll have the independence to learn, lead and drive change. A culture of extraordinary service, empowerment and stability — that’s the First Republic way.
We believe that a diverse range of backgrounds and ideas has and will continue to be fundamental to the future success of First Republic.
If you are curious to learn more about this opportunity, we'd love to hear from you.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. The Company is an equal opportunity employer. In this regard, the Company makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in order to enable them to perform all essential job functions, unless doing so creates an undue hardship.
First Republic is subject to federal laws that restrict the employment of individuals with certain types of criminal histories, including FDIA Section 19 and FINRA. To the extent not inconsistent with our obligations under those federal laws and regulations, First Republic will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles and San Francisco ban-the-box laws.
For New York City-based roles: Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that, effective December 27, 2021, all private sector employers?in New York City will be required to ensure that their employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend work in the office. Reasonable Medical or Religious Accommodations may be requested if applicable to you. Please view New York’s Guidance on Accommodations for Workers for more information.