Senior Software Engineer
At First Republic, we care about our people. Founded in 1985, we offer extraordinary client service in private banking, private business banking and private wealth management. We believe that personal connections are everything and our success is driven by the relationships we form with our colleagues and clients. You’ll always feel empowered and valued here.
Incredible teams doing exceptional work, every day
In Technology, we support First Republic’s employees and clients through the acquisition, integration and management of the Bank’s information technology systems and services. We drive innovation and explore emerging technologies so our people can be productive and focus on what matters most – providing extraordinary service.
Duties and Responsibilities
We're building a modern banking platform at First Republic. That means building a domain-driven model of banking and its various subcomponents behind a coherent, composable, modern API layer. That API layer uses versioned REST services and event sourcing. If you're interested in object-functional programming; functional reactive programming; and other similar architectural and implementation patterns, you're going to feel at home here. After all, what is banking but a series of events over time?
Deposits, lending, treasury - the field is wide open.
Required People Skills
- Patience with how the environment is, with an eye towards refactoring the environment into what it should be
- An ability to win friends and influence people on both the technology and business sides
- Clear and concise communication skills
- Bias towards action, an ability to work autonomously while navigating uncertainty with good humor
- Empathy for our clients and stakeholders on both the technology and business side
- Track record of delivery in highly-functional tech environment, preferably in a cloud-first environment
- Familiarity with cloud architectural patterns
- Microservices, message queues, container orchestration, etc.
- A strong preference for infrastructure-as-code
- Deep familiarity with one or more mainstream programming languages
- Experience with both SQL and NoSQL as well as their relevant data modeling patterns
- Prior experience at the intersection of InfoSec and feature delivery would be a huge plus
- Experience creating software in highly-regulated environments is also a big plus
Our platform / stack
We are migrating to a cloud-first platform on AWS, so familiar with the major components of AWS is required
- Data layer: Kafka, DynamoDB, MongoDB, various RDS flavors, SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL
- Application layer: ASP.NET Core deployed in Docker containers running on Linux (for the most part)
- Infrastructure: All of our cloud infrastructure is expressed in code via Terraform. In general, applications are deployed in Docker containers running on OpenShift behind Apigee
- Code: C#, node (both TS and JS), languages supported by lambda are also a plus
- Infrastructure: Docker, Terraform, AWS, OpenShift, S3, etc.
The existing environment has other technologies, so familiarity with Java, Oracle, PingFed, Mulesoft, TIBCO, Appian is helpful, not required.
You might be a good fit if you have:
- 5-7 years of experience of software engineering experience
- 2+ years of building and administering distributed applications using a cloud platform
- Work experience at the intersection one or more cloud platforms and feature delivery of complex systems
- Must be able to review and analyze data reports and manuals; must be computer proficient.
- Must be able to communicate effectively via telephone and in person.
Own your work and your career - apply now
Are you willing to take initiative and make decisions? Are you willing to go the extra mile because you love what you do and how you can contribute as a team? Do you want the freedom to grow and the opportunity to take charge of your own career? If so, then come join us.
We want hard working team players. You’ll have the independence to learn, lead and drive change. A culture of extraordinary service, empowerment and stability—that’s the First Republic way.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. The Company is an equal opportunity employer. In this regard, the Company makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in order to enable them to perform all essential job functions, unless doing so creates an undue hardship.
First Republic is subject to federal laws that restrict the employment of individuals with certain types of criminal histories, including FDIA Section 19 and FINRA. To the extent not inconsistent with our obligations under those federal laws and regulations, First Republic will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles and San Francisco ban-the-box laws.